By S. Standish 🙂
Quick and easy! These are our go-to’s on crazy extracurricular nights. If we want to be super on task, I will double to either put some in kids school lunch, or have enough for another meal. Kids love helping out with these as well.
We always add a side salad and dairy (usually milk or homemade smoothie) to make sure that we cover all of our food groups.
Q. Why did the strawberry call 911?
A. It was in a jam!!
- Stovetop Cheeseburger Pasta
1 Package of your kids Fave pasta
1 lb. ground beef
1/4 cup chopped up butter
1/2 cup flour
2 cups milk
11/4 cups beef broth
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
2 tsp. mustard
2 cans diced tomatoes
3 cups grated old cheddar cheese
2/3 Cup Parmesan CheeseInstructions:
1. Cook pasta according to directions on packaging and drain.
2. On stovetop, cook and break up the beef until no longer pink. Remove and drain.
3. In pan, melt butter and stir in flour until smooth on low heat. Slowly add milk, broth, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Cook and stir until thickened. Add tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Add pasta and beef, stir in half of each cheese, sprinkle the top with remaining cheese for serving.
- Cheeselicious Taco Burgers – A combo of my kids favourite foods. Shape your favourite burger meat combo (ground beef, turkey, etc.) into mini burgers; sprinkle with taco seasoning. Using a grill or skillet, cook the burgers to desired doneness, sprinkling with grated cheese about a 1 minute before they are cooked fully. Serve with shredded lettuce, pico de gallo, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, etc. on slider buns. Easy Peasy!
- BBQ Chicken Tostada’s – Very easy, especially if you use rotisserie chicken.
10 Corn Tortilla’s – brushed/sprayed lightly with olive oil and baked for 3 mins per side at 350′.
4 Cups cooked and shredded chicken
2 cups of BBQ sauce, use your kids favourite!
2.5 cups of shredded cheese ( we like a blend of old Chedder and Monterey Jack)
4 Green Onions, thinly sliced (optional)
1. Combine the chicken and 1.5 cups of BBQ Sauce in a small bowl and stir to cover.
2. Divide the chicken between the tortilla shells and top with cheese (about 1/4 cup on each).
3. Spread on baking sheets used for toasting the tortillas. Bake for 6-8 minutes (in 350′ oven), until cheese melts.
4. Take out and lightly drizzle more BBQ sauce on top and sprinkle with green onions (if they want).
- Easy Pizza Roll – Super simple and quick.
Ingredients – Pillsbury pizza crust, 1 cup shredded cheese, pizza sauce and toppings of your choosing. We make two of these rolls at a time, so I just double the above.
Instructions – Preheat oven to 350′, lay out crust, down the middle 1/3 layer a good amount of sauce, sprinkle cheese and then lay toppings on top. I like to cut strips along each side and kind of braid the top over so the topping kind of ooze out a bit. Cook until bread is cooked (about 15 mins) and it’s cheesy oozy. YUMMY.
- Chicken Caesar Rollups – Our kids love Caesar Salad, and this is a quick and easy crowd pleaser. Make a Caesar salad with all the fixings that your kids prefer (We make our own dressing, add bacon bits and a few croutons, sometimes I will sneak in some avocado as well). Grab a bag of flour wraps. Lay out a wrap, add a good amount of the salad and about 1/2 cup of shredded chicken (sometimes we use leftover chicken fingers) along the middle of the wrap. Roll it up tight and cut it into easily handled pieces. Plate and add some veggies to the plate with their favourite dip. And done!
What are your easy go-to dishes when there just doesn’t seem like enough time?