By S. Standish
Well it has been a month full of cold weather and illness in our house. I feel a little behind in postings, but will try and make it up over the next few weeks. 🙂
It’s almost time for midnight toasting, Auld Lang Syne and resolution promises. How will you ring in the New Year with your kids and family? If you are home with young kids, why not make it an amazing New Years Eve extravaganza they will never forget and keep asking for the next decade to come! We were supposed to be hosting a smashing NYE party with a tropical theme, enter storm Pneumonia and now we are having a chill night at home……just the 5 of us.
Here is a list of what we are doing tonight, our fun activities from 2017, Netflix Countdown links and fun resources we found.
Cheers to a good night and transition to 2018!
Our Activities Tonight:
- Surprise New Years Ball. Materials: Plastic Wrap roll, Treats to wrap up (blowers, pens, squishy animals, chocolates, candies, small bubbles, stickers/tattoos, stamps, etc.)
- “Best Moment of the Year?” – We will be asking our kids this leading question tonight and see what we have to do again in 2018!
- New Years Slime!!! – Can’t wait for this fun, tactile activity tonight. We only had cheap no name glue….I recommend Elmer’s, the other glues don’t quite have the same effect. The recipe is here.
- Ring in 2018……candy ring treats. So fun and easy to put together!
- “Mad Libs – New Year Style” – We have been loving mad libs lately and I came up with a good one for our kids. Print off one of these for each kid and ask them for each blank space requirement, write their answers in as they go, have them read out their New Year’s Mad Lib and let the giggles ensue:).
- Making blizzard punch….we made this last year and the kids wanted to bring it back!! You can try the poppers too. We made them for last years friends party, everyone had their own logo, and they were a hit.
- Food – We are still battling colds so we are ordering in!! Broasted Chicken, Veggies, Cole Slaw, French Fries, Veggie Tray and Pierogi Goodness.
- Going to attempt a balloon drop from our fan in the kitchen……seems like a good idea right now. 🙂
- DIY Confetti – We have tons of crafting hole punches and I kept lots of wrapping paper and ribbons to make larger confetti pieces to spread the cheer at midnight. The bigger the pieces the easier to clean up. Small pieces of confetti will be found in crevices for all of 2018!
- Watching the ball drop somewhere in the world…. Link of List HERE. We are partial to watching the NYE Party here in Niagara Falls….but we will be clicking back and forth to other programs.Our Southern Neighbours favourite: (From Variety) The official Times Square 2018 webcast will kick off at 6 p.m. ET on Dec. 31, 2017, and end at 12:15 a.m. ET on Jan. 1, 2018.The ninth annual New Year’s Eve live-stream from New York City will be available free worldwide on multiple websites, including TimesSquareNYC.org, Livestream.com/2018 and TimesSquareBall.net. In addition, it will be streamed on Facebook (facebook.com/TimesSquareNYC) and Twitter (twitter.com/TimesSquareNYC)
- If it’s snowing and you’re looking for things to do…..try a few of our list of things to do on a snow day.
- Finally, we are going to let the kids take a “couples” picture of us. They can pick out the outfits, my 5 year old is doing my makeup…a new look for 2018!
These come in handy to help celebrate an early New Year’s time. This year’s countdowns are from the following Netflix kids’ shows: “All Hail King Julien,” “Beat Bugs,” “Larva,” “Pororo,” “Puffin Rock,” “Skylanders Academy,” “Trollhunters,” “True and the Rainbow Kingdom,” and “Word Party.”
To get to these awesome countdowns:
1. Go to the “Kids” section on Netflix.
2. Choose the celebratory 2018 graphic.
3. You can also find them by searching for “New Years Countdown.”
Try It Kids Activities from Last Year:
New Years 2017 – PDF file: tik-new-years-lesson-plan
Super Fun resources:
- 14 Ways to celebrate New Years with Kids – Today’s Parent
- 21 Ideas for Celebrating New Years Eve with Kids – The Spruce
- Have the Kids make and colour their Own Party Hats – Download and print this free printable .
- Use a Colouring Sheet to Count Down – Download and print this free fireworks colouring sheet.
- Free Printable New Years Eve Game – Party Delights
- How to Host a Family-Friendly New Years – Food Network
Any comments or great ideas???? Please comment below or email us! Have a fabulous day!
Privacy and Disclosure Policies
THE OWNER AND WRITER OF THIS BLOG ACCEPTS NO LIABILITY. READERS FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS AND SUGGESTIONS MADE BY THE OWNER AND WRITERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR OWN SAFETY AND THE SAFETY OF MINORS IN THEIR CARE. ALL ACTIVITIES REQUIRE ADULT SUPERVISION AT ALL TIMES. CHILDREN UNDER 3 SHOULD NOT PARTICIPATE IN ANY ACTIVITIES THAT INVOLVE SMALL PIECES.